Supporting Gender Equality
ICTP strives to attract and retain female scientists
Promoting science equality for all
Why are there still fewer women than men in science? In a world where just 30% of researchers are women, the reasons are many, ranging from the challenge of balancing family life and career to a lack of childcare support and role models.
ICTP hopes to address some of these challenges through a number of initiatives aimed at increasing the participation and representation of women in physics at the Centre.
By including specific actions to this end in its new strategic planning, ICTP has already taken some important steps:
- In 2022, 2020, 2019 and 2018, ICTP organised activities for the UN's International Day of Women and Girls in Science. On 11 February 2022 ICTP organised a special online event targeted to school students titled "Scienziate per il cambiamento climatico" (women scientists for climate change), with climate scientists Erika Coppola and Anna Pirani. A video recording (in Italian) is available here.
- ICTP hosted its fifth Career Development Workshop for Women in Physics from 17 to 19 November 2021. This follows on workshops held in 2019, 2017 (photos can be found here), 2015 as well as in 2013.
- ICTP hosted a talk by Shobhana Narasimhan (Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore) during the celebrations for the Postgraduate Diploma Programme's 30th anniversary in August 2021 on "Fighting Systemic Gender Discrimination in Science".
- ICTP hosted the 'Conference on Global Approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical, Computing and Natural Sciences: How to Measure It, How to Reduce It?' from 4 to 8 November 2019, during which results of a three-year project were presented.
- The Centre offered free attendance and accommodation for one of its renowned conferences to the five winners of the 2015 Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early Career Women Scientists in the Developing World, which focused this year on physics and mathematics.
- The Centre devoted two sessions to Women in Science during its 50th anniversary celebrations in 2014.
More actions are planned, thanks to the appointment of a coordinator for ICTP's women in physics initiatives. Please check this web page frequently for new developments and opportunities.
RELATED LINKS (EXTERNAL)
- L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science
- Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future
- Forum for African Women Educationalists
- European Platform of Women Scientists
- IAEA Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowship Programme
- The IIASA Women in Science Club
Women in science at ICTP, as of 2021
ICTP event to celebrate International Day for Women and…
An ICTP event for schools on women in science and climate…
Earth System Physics
Alessandra Buonanno looks forward
High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
International Day of Women and Girls in Science on Friday…
Prof Buonanno will be the speaker for this year's…
Fifth edition of Career Development Workshop for Women in…